Friday, April 13, 2007

Done In

That's me; done in. My week from hell is finally done.

Remember that three day trial? Well, we only got about 1/3 of the way through the complete trial. We're the petitioner, so we went first. We got all of our witnesses done except one or maybe two, who will have to wait for later, so we haven't yet completed our prima facie case. The respondent got started on his response case started but he still has at least three witnesses to go; including at least one professional which will take most of a full day. And then when he gets done, we get a chance to put on a rebuttal case. So we asked the court for two more days. Which turn out to be May 29th and June 11th. It certainly seems unfair to ask people to wait two months to finish a custody trial so they can then wait for the court's ruling letter which comes 10 to 14 days AFTER the trial is over.

Oh, and that full day depo and 1/2 day hearing? Did those, too.

And got into the office at 7:00 a.m. on each of the court days and worked until 7:00 on two nights to get ready for the next day. I managed to work late enough on Wednesday to completely miss the Washington County Bar Meeting, where I was supposed to be the guest of the presiding judge and get a plaque in appreciation of my services to the court for the last five years. And I haven't even had time to call the judge to beg forgiveness.

Guess that'll have to wait until Monday. In the meantime, I'm going to be horizontal, either in the recliner or in bed, until the swelling in my ankles goes down, or Monday morning; whichever comes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, Blogger will not let me track back to you, so if you would like an answer, please include your email address at the bottom of your comment.