Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Whole Lot of Nothing

Knitting? Sure, I've been doing some. But since what I've been knitting is either black or a Christmas present, I can't talk about them or show them to you.

Spinning? Sure, I've been doing some; in fact, I passed the 3-mile mark last week. But I didn't take pictures and now it's too dark. I have 3 more bobbins spun but since those are singles, there doesn't seem to be much point of talking about it or showing it to you.

Ravelry? Been doing that, too. I spent some time this weekend in the forums and browsing through patterns. I saw a post in the Beginning Spinners forum from Abby, in Sudbury, Massachusetts, who was having trouble with her spinning wheel, which turned out to be a Country Craftsman, similar to mine. Abby and I exchanged a bunch of posts, eventually moved to email, and carried on a detailed conversation for a good deal of Saturday. She and her husband were more than a little frustrated with her wheel, but after exchanging pictures and information, we got her wheel working. Tonight Abby reports that she and her husband each spun a first bobbin of single. Her next questions were about finishing the yarn. Congratulations to Abby, who today became a spinner!

I did get a chance to get another spinner started this week. I met Jan Islay through Ravelry. Jan and her husband moved here recently from San Luis Obispo and brought their alpaca herd. She was looking for someone to help her learn to spin, so I invited her to our Westside Wednesday for a starter lesson. I told her it would be such a shame to have all that lovely fiber available and not make use of it! We got her off to a pretty good start, although alpaca isn't the easiest fiber to start with.

I've also been "talking" via Ravelry with Tami. I met Tami last summer when she helped organize the World Wide Knit In Public event in Tanasbourne. Turns out Tami got bitten by the spinning bug, too, and needed some help moving from a drop spindle to a wheel. She's borrowed a Louet and has 2 bobbins of singles, so next Wednesday, we'll do a plying lesson.

It is so amazing that people who would probably have never meet "in real life" could find each other and spend time "talking" about a common interest! It's easy to forget how much technology has changed our everyday lives. Without Ravelry, I never would have met Abby, or Jan, or Tami. Not too many years ago, the only way to learn spinning (or knitting, or lots of other things) was to find someone (often just by word of mouth) who could give you lessons or struggle alone with books from a library. But today, I got a chance to share knowledge and experience with someone 3,000 miles away. I wonder what those spinners of the past would think of that?

Speaking of sharing knowledge, next weekend is the Oregon Flock and Fiber Fest. The PDX Knit Bloggers will be there in force. We'll have an "official" presence this year, with a tent on the lawn. The members will be offering drop-in demos and help with knitting, crocheting, spinning, weaving, or just about any other fiber-related subject. I plan on spending at least all day Saturday at OFFF; if my energy level holds up, I'll be there Sunday as well. So next week, I'll have LOTS of pretty pictures to show you and lots to talk about.

5 comments:

  1. I'm SO excited about OFFF and looking forward to seeing everyone there. I think I've convinced my mom to come with me, too. :)

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to have met you in person at OFFF!! It's so good to have a real-time fact to go with your name. Whoo hoo! What a perfect day for a fiber fest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so nice to meet you today, and to buy my lovely shawl pin from Toolman! Pix are up on my blog, except for the pin. I need to take a picture of it tomorrow, in daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you on Saturday, Bobbi. Thanks for greeting me. By then I was so close to total sensory overload that I was scarecly coherent.Too many soft pretties. I had to leave before I even visited the animals. What a feast of earthly delights!! I could have done with about a thousand fewer people though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I just saw that I made your blog! Thanks for your nice words, and for your awesome spinning lesson! Kate came home tonight very excited about spinning. She wants to spin ALL of our alpaca fiber. Cool! :)

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, Blogger will not let me track back to you, so if you would like an answer, please include your email address at the bottom of your comment.