Sunday, January 23, 2011
This is Dolly; at least that's what I've been calling her. She belongs to a co-worker, Laurie, who asked me to do a little repair work on her. Laurie thinks Dolly might have been made by her grandmother; she's obviously handmade. Her body and clothes are made of squares, about 4 inches square, handwoven of wool yarn. Her body is very firmly stuffed with cotton and her features are embroidered with cotton floss.
Unfortunately, Dolly's showing her age. The back of her little booties and the top of her little dress have become brittle and the weaving has started breaking. One braid has come undone and she could use a little freshening up.
I'm almost finished with the socks that were started last week. I've finished the first sock and only have about 25 rounds to do on the second one. Today, I realized that I've been knitting these on US 1s and my standard formula for ToolMan is on US 2s. So these may not turn out to be ToolMan socks after all; I may add them to my drawer instead.
You can see from the bag that there are already quite a few things in the bag for the swap. But you'll have to wait until it's delivered to the recipient before I can reveal what's inside. I don't want to spoil the surprise!