Sunday, March 11, 2007

Another weekend gone . . .

Another weekend gone and we're still living with holes in the walls, floors, and ceilings. The check is in California, waiting to be signed by the mortgage company and returned (hopefuly on Monday or Tuesday) before we can get the repair people started.

The one problem with so much time before repairs start, is that we keep thinking of "upgrades" we'd like to do. Bamboo flooring in the kitchen, slate in the master bathroom, a walkin shower, maybe a kitchen island, cedar plank floor in the master closet, are all starting to sound reasonable. You know, "it's cheaper to do it now since the floor's already out", and "might be better to do it now, since the wall already has to be re-done". If we're not careful, the total cost could be much, much more than the $18,000 the insurance company gave us.

And we've decided that we absolutely cannot go back to Lowe's or Home Depot until the repairs are done. It's worse than two kids in a toy store. Tool Man and I get to fondling and drooling over the appliances, the flooring, the new sinks, and light fixtures and we can hardly tear ourselves away.

But we have decided to replace the crappy electric stove we have with this as part of the re-work. And we've decided to take the wood panels out of some of the upper kitchen cabinets and replace them with either frosted or textured glass. And add brushed stainless steel hardware. See what I mean? This could turn into a money pit.

The baby sweater is still a work in progress. It's an "up the back and down the front" pattern; which, as it turns out, is not a process I apparently enjoy since it's taking me far too long to finish this thing. It is, after all, only a newborn size and I've been working on this for 2 weeks. It's a good thing that I'm "project monogamous" or it would be a UFO (unfinished object) in the bottom of the knitting basket.

I did get one thing accomplished this weekend: I bought new plastic storage bins and cleaned up my storage room. I had to tell Tool Man that I needed the bins for Halloween decorations, which was only partly true. I did have two decorations to store. But what I really needed them for is to store the giant skein of brushed mohair, cone of bamboo, and multiple balls of cotton that I bought a couple weeks ago when we went to Carlton for SEX. That was a "stash enhancement expedition" at Woodland Woolworks. I know that made you smile. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, Blogger will not let me track back to you, so if you would like an answer, please include your email address at the bottom of your comment.