Sunday, March 2, 2008

A little help from my friends

Cancer. Children.

Together, those two words strike fear in the hearts of parents everywhere.

Thomas Gabaldon needs a little help from my friends. Thomas is an energetic ten-year old who enjoys the same things as most other 10-year old boys: baseball, soccer, riding his bike, and playing video games. But Thomas had persistent knee pain, so his mom took him to the doctor. After a bunch of tests, Thomas was diagnosed with osteogenic sarcoma (a type of bone cancer).

Thomas is now undergoing week-long sessions of chemotherapy at Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland, Oregon. Being away from home during this treatment has been difficult, but he is committed to beating his cancer. Thomas' mother has quit her job to care for him.

Recently, doctors amputated part of Thomas' leg. Later, he will be fitted with a prosthesis enabling him to walk. After much therapy, hard work, and perseverance he will be able to once again do all of the physical activities ten-year old boys love to do.

"My cancer scare changed my life. I am grateful for every, new healthy day I have. It helped me prioritize my life." - Olivia Newton John

When I heard about Thomas from one of the attorneys in my firm, I did what most people do: I thanked God, my lucky stars, the fates, and whatever and whomever else I could think of that it wasn't my child fighting this fight.

Then I did what most other knitters do: I volunteered to knit an item for a silent auction. And, I called for reinforcements. I posted to the PDX Knit Bloggers asking for donations for a silent auction, asking for any and all donations.

Cindy turned in this limited edition Beanie Buddy in his rocking chair . . .



and this Lantern Moon bag full of international beanie babies.



Sharon knitted up a sweet little child's cap (I wondered if this was her hand-dyed yarn) . . .



And a pair of the most gorgeous mitts you've ever seen.



Trust me, this picture doesn't do them justice. They are the richest amethyst color in real life. And soft!

Kathleen is working on a lace shawl (she's designing the pattern as she goes along!) and, if she has enough time, will be making a pair of beaded earrings to match it.

I finished a shrug in Organic Inca Cotton which is drying as we speak. I also picked up these:



which will become a gift basket for the auction. Yes, I have deliberately obscured things in there; I've got to have something to post about next week, after all.

“If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or Fight Like Hell.” - Lance Armstrong

1 comment:

  1. I need to come up with a little knitted something to send up to you. The movers arrive tomorrow so hopefully I can come up with something by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, Blogger will not let me track back to you, so if you would like an answer, please include your email address at the bottom of your comment.