Sunday, April 20, 2008

With apologies to Mr. Gore

Sorry, Al, but right now, I'm really having a hard time with the whole "global warming" scenario. After all, just a couple weeks ago, we had snow. Sure, last Saturday it was 80 degrees here. But yesterday? We got this:



Yep, snow and hail. And ToolMan has been warming up the car every morning because of frost on the windshield. In April! Rather than likening temperatures to a description of Lake Woebegone children, this year is starting to feel more like another 1816.

The cold weather has kept ToolMan and I inside this weekend. The bats from Barbara has dried nicely.



It came out in a nicely heathered coral/pink. And the Sulky Pearlescent thread added just the right amount of sparkle.



And it is oh, so soft! I got 368 yards of 2-ply, which should be plenty for a large scarf/small shawl. I want to find a pretty lace pattern with some sort of shell design for this. As much as I want to dive right into it, I'll wait until I find just the right pattern.

We've been spending money on Andy Rooney faster than the veterinarian can say "Ka-Ching!" He was at the clinic all day Tuesday for observation and blood tests to find out he's diabetic. His blood sugar should be about 150 but was over 400, so we had to buy insulin and syringes. Then Thursday, he got sick in the middle of the night with vomiting and diarrhea, so he was back at the vet again on Friday morning. His blood sugar was over 700 so they kept him overnight in intensie care to get him stabilized. Dr. Pilversack says the drastic changes in his blood suger have caused some abdominal and intestinal distress so that meant more observation, blood tests, X-rays, and an ultrasound.



We finally got him home Saturday morning, along with adjusted insulin dosages. But he seems to be feeling better; he's gone on short walks around the neighborhood with ToolMan, and his appetite seems to be returning.

I really should cast on a pair of socks so I can take pictures for the Inexplicable Knitting Behavior for Stephanie's visit on Tuesday. Instead, I've been knitting on the shawl I started last week with the remains of the Bambu 7 .


Maybe I'll have enough time on MAX tomorrow morning to start a sock. I won't have a snowball's chance of winning the scavenger hunt, but maybe I can get pictures of the sock with my boss and a few of the downtown sites before the book signing on Tuesday. Of course, the PDX Knit Bloggers have some shenanigan's planned for Steph's visit. I'll have a full report next week. Stay tuned, sports fans; as they say, "Film at 11:00".

2 comments:

  1. Poor Andy Rooney! When it rains (and hails and snows), it pours. Glad to hear that the little guy is on the mend.

    And I know he's not feeling well in the picture but he looks so cute with his little paw over his nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy looks soooo sad, but i'll bet he was glad to be home with you. I can't come tomarrow evening, but will be there is spirit. gailmowry@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, Blogger will not let me track back to you, so if you would like an answer, please include your email address at the bottom of your comment.